If you are not comfortable with getting dental treatment, our team at NewSmile Dental Perth can provide dental hypnotherapy as an adjunct to your dental care.
Dental Hypnotherapy at NewSmile Dental Perth
Dental hypnotherapist Shavaya Huskinson is an Oral Health Therapist at NewSmile Dental Perth, and a nationally accredited hypnotherapist. This means that your dental hypnotherapy treatment is covered by select private health funds.
Dental hypnotherapy provided at NewSmile Dental may be able to help you significantly with one of the following conditions, as they relate to your oral health:
- Dental fear or anxiety including, but not limited to fear of needles, fear of dental procedures, fear of dental examinations and fear of the possible diagnoses. Hypnotherapy can help manage and even eliminate the fears in our subconscious mind.
- Pain control and post-operative healing. If you are sensitive to pain in general, dental hypnotherapy can help you with managing the pain sensation and reducing its impact on your daily life.
- Cessation of smoking. Hypnotherapy has been very effective in helping patients with the cessation of smoking.
- Migraines and insomnia.
- Dietary cravings. Dental hypnotherapy can reduce cravings that have a negative impact on your teeth and general well-being.
What is hypnosis and what is (dental)hypnotherapy?
Hypnotherapy is a therapy or intervention used under the state of hypnosis to draw out patterns that run within your subconscious mind.
To explain this further it is helpful to recognise the difference in the states of your conscious and subconscious mind. The conscious mind is responsible for logical, analytical and linear thinking. We often learn something step by step with our conscious mind, such as learning to tie our shoelaces. Once this skill is learnt the subconscious mind takes over and the activity becomes an automatic behaviour, something that you no longer need to consciously think about. Habits such as nail biting and thumb sucking are examples of automatic behaviours that are driven by your subconscious mind.
Hypnotherapy in general (and dental hypnotherapy at NewSmile Dental Perth) uses guided relaxation, intense concentration, and focused attention to achieve a heightened state of awareness and draw out those patterns in the subconscious mind. Your attention is so focused, while in this state, such that anything going on around you is temporarily blocked out or ignored.
In this naturally occurring state, you may focus your attention - with the help of a trained therapist - on specific thoughts or tasks. In this way, hypnotherapy can help some people change behaviors such as smoking or nail biting as well as change perceptions and sensations which are useful in managing pain.
So what is it not?
To better understand what hypnosis is, it may be useful to understand what it is NOT:
- Hypnosis is NOT mind control. You will be fully aware and have free will. If you are requested to do something or answer a question that you do not want to, you can simply choose not to.
- Hypnosis is NOT being unconscious or asleep. The state of hypnosis lays just beneath the layers of being awake. In-fact you will be in a state of heightened awareness. If you fall asleep you have gone past the range of what the hypnotic state is.
Hypnosis IS a state that we naturally go in and out of multiple times a day.
- During the period just before and after sleep
- Driving the car to regular destinations
- Deep daydreams when the world around you may not seem to exist
- Deep involvement in a book or movie
- Deep bliss moments in exercise
How your NewSmile dentist can help with Anxiety and Fear
Our Dental Hypnotherapy Service
You may meet one of our lovely team members, Shavaya Huskinson, at one of your regular hygiene appointments. Shavaya is both an Oral Health Therapist and a nationally registered and accredited hypnotherapist. Shavaya is also a proud governing board member of the Professional Hypnotherapy Association.
If you are interested in seeking hypnotherapy for any of your dental concerns please feel free to ask one of our receptionists or make an appointment to speak to Shavaya. Some private health funds provide rebates for hypnotherapy services when done by a registered hypnotherapist.
Get in touch with us!
Monday to Friday (except Thursday) -
8 AM - 5 PM
Thursday - 8 AM - 7 PM
Alternate Saturdays - 8 AM -1 PM
Sunday & Public Holiday - Closed
|PHONE||1300 639 764|
|PHONE||08 6380 5888|
Subiaco, 116 Churchill Ave
Perth, WA 6008