Teeth braces are not just for kids
When you think about straightening your teeth, you might think that this is only something that applies for young patients. We seem to presume that braces and treatment options such as Invisalign are a typical dental solution for children with misaligned teeth.
It is important to know that, if you are considering treatment to correct the alignment of your teeth at a later stage in your life, orthodontic braces and orthodontic treatment is still an option with many treatment solutions available to enhance the smile you desire.
Straightening your teeth with orthodontics. What to expect?
When you are diagnosed with misaligned teeth, our first step is to inform you about the different types of orthodontic solutions and braces that are available at our Perth practice. We strongly believe in our vision that you deserve a personalised solution as opposed to a one-size-fits-all approach. When we introduce braces or commence Invisalign treatment, it is imperative that your teeth are positioned in alignment with the unique proportions and features of your face.
When we explore the use of braces, we look at the whole picture, not just at straightening crowded or misaligned teeth. We first look at your expectations in regards to function and appearance. Then we help you understand the different types of braces: from the efficient Damon system using self-ligating braces to ceramic or tooth coloured braces. We also use your initial diagnosis and your requirements to determine if you would be a candidate for Invisalign braces.
What are invisalign braces?
Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment available in Perth, that helps to straighten your teeth without using the typical metal braces. With Invisalign, the patient wears a set of custom-made and clear plastic aligners, that help position your teeth correctly.
Many patients tell us their ideal would be to have invisible braces. Clear aligners, such as the Invisalign braces, are the closest thing to this ideal situation. The clear, removable plastic aligners are an alternative to traditional orthodontic treatments involving fixed brackets and wires which are permanently attached to the teeth during the course of treatment.
What are the steps in an invisalign treatment?
The orthodontic treatment with Invisalign braces, at NewSmile Dental Perth, involves a number of steps:
- Initial consultation with the dentist to gain an understanding of your current dental situation
- Digital imaging (Xrays) is required to assess your suitability and to review any potential medical concerns
- Impressions are taken of your bite and scans are made
- 3D imagery is used to visualise your treatment journey and what your teeth will look like after your Invisalign braces are removed
- The aligners are created and tried out at NewSmile, to ensure they are comfortable
- You then wear your aligners for 20 to 22 hours every day, only removing them to eat and to brush.
- Over the first few weeks, you will feel minimal discomfort however often you can produce a little bit more saliva and your speech may be slightly impacted while getting used to talking with the aligners in your mouth.
Why NewSmile Dental Perth for teeth alignment?
Commencing your orthodontic treatment whether it be with conventional braces or Invisalign can be a daunting process, so rest assured that at NewSmile Dental Perth we are with you every step of the way. Our team of friendly dentists, clinical assistants and dental hygienists will utilize their vast experience to give you all the information you require – ranging from how to properly insert and remove the aligners, how to practice your speech and how to clean them properly.
If you feel that the alignment of your teeth affects your overall oral hygiene, your bite, your smile and even your general appearance, please come and speak to our team in Subiaco.