Rest Easy with Sleep Dentistry at New Smile Dental Centre
Sleep dentistry (also called conscious or twilight sedation) is an advanced form of dental sedation. It uses a combination of calming and pain relieving drugs to make patients feel comfortable and deeply relaxed during dental procedures or minor oral surgery.
Patients feel they have slept through their procedure, as sleep dentistry enables patients to have lengthy or advanced treatments in comfort. The effects of the sedative make you feel as if you have had a relaxing sleep and you are left with very little or no memory of the actual procedure.
Sleep dentistry is used to minimise any pain and discomfort associated with dental treatments and to treat patients who may experience fear or anxiety.
Why Choose Sedation
Patients have chosen to use sleep dentistry for reasons including:
- A low pain threshold
- Fear of needles
- Fear of the dentist
- They have a strong gag reflex
- They have sensitive teeth and gums
- They have jaw problems or difficulty keeping their mouth open
- They have complex issues and require several treatments in one session
- They require advanced, lengthy or oral surgical treatments